Interesting & Amazing Geographic Facts
* More than half of the coastline of the entire United States is in
*The Amazon rain forest produces more than 20% the world's oxygen
* The Amazon River pushes so much water into the Atlantic Ocean
that, more than one hundred miles at sea, off the mouth of the river, one
can dip fresh water out of the ocean.
* The volume of water in the Amazon River is greater than the next
eight largest rivers in the world combined and three times the flow of all
rivers in the United States.
*Antarctica is the only land on our planet that is not owned by any
* Ninety percent of the world's ice covers Antarctica. This ice also
represents seventy percent of all the fresh water in the world.
* As strange as it sounds, however, Antarctica is essentially a
The average yearly total precipitation is about two inches.
* Although covered with ice (all but 0.4% of it, i. e.), Antarctica
is the driest place on the planet, with an absolute humidity lower than
the Gobi desert.
* Brazil got its name from the nut, not the other way around.
* Canada has more lakes than the rest of the world combined.
* Canada is an Indian word meaning, Big Village
* Next to Warsaw, Chicago has the largest Polish population in the
* Woodward Avenue in Detroit, Michigan carries the designation M - 1,
named so because it was the first paved road anywhere.
* Damascus, Syria, was flourishing a couple of thousand years before
Rome was founded in 753 BC, making it the oldest continuously
inhabited city in existence.
* Istanbul, Turkey is the only city in the world located on two
* Los Angeles's full name is El Pueblo de Nuestra Senora la Reina de
los Angeles de Porciuncula --and can be abbreviated to 3.63% of its
size: L. A.
New York City
* The term "The Big Apple" was coined by touring
jazz musicians of
the 1930s who used the slang __expression
"apple" for any town or city.
Therefore, to play New York City is to play the big time - The
* There are more Irish in New York City than in Dublin, Ireland;
more Italians in New York City than in Rome, Italy; and more Jews in New
York City than in Tel Aviv, Israel.
* Percentage of Africa that is wilderness: 28. Percentage of North
America that is wilderness: 38.
* There are no natural lakes in the state of Ohio, every one is
* The smallest island with country status is Pitcairn in Polynesia,
at just 1.75 sq. miles/4,53 sq. km.
* The first city to reach a population of 1 million
people was Rome,
Italy in 133 B. C.
* There is a city called Rome on every continent.
* Siberia contains more than 25% of the world's forests.
S. M. O. M.
* The actual smallest sovereign entity in the world is the Sovereign
Military Order of Malta (S. M. O. M.). It is located in the city of
Rome, Italy, has an area of two tennis courts, and as of 2001 has a
population of 80, 20 less people than the Vatican. It is a sovereign entity
under international law, just as the Vatican is.
* In the Sahara Desert, there is a town named Tidikelt,
not receive a drop of rain for ten years.
* Spain literally means 'the land of rabbits.'
St. Paul Minnesota
* St. Paul, Minnesota was originally called Pigs Eye after a man
named Pierre, Pig's Eye, Parrant who set up the first business there.
* Chances that a road is unpaved in the U. S. A.: 1%, in Canada: 75%.
* The deepest hole ever made in the world is in Texas. It is as deep
as 20 empire state buildings but only 3 inches wide.
* The Eisenhower interstate system requires that
one-mile in every
five must be straight. These straight sections are
usable as airstrips in
times of war or other emergencies.
* The water of Angel Falls (the World's highest) in Venezuela drops
3,212 feet (979 meters). They are 15 times higher than Niagara
A dime has 118 ridges around the edge.
A cat has 32 muscles in each ear.
A crocodile cannot stick out its tongue.
A dragonfly has a life span of 24 hours.
A goldfish has a memory span of three seconds.
A, jiffy, is an actual unit of time for 1/100th of a second.
A shark is the only fish that can blink with both eyes.
A snail can sleep for three years.
Al Capone's business card said he was a used furniture dealer.
All 50 states are listed across the top of the Lincoln Memorial on
the back of the $5 bill.
Almonds are a member of the peach family.
An ostrich's eye is bigger than its brain.
Babies are born without kneecaps. They don't appear until the child
reaches 2 to 6 years of age.
Butterflies taste with their feet.
Cats have over one hundred vocal sounds. Dogs only have about 10.
Dreamt is the only English word that ends in the letters, mt
February 1865 is the only month in recorded history not to have a full moon.
In the last 4,000 years, no new animals have been domesticated.
If the population of China walked past you, in single file, the line would never end because of the rate of reproduction.
If you are an average American, in your whole
life, you will spend
an average of 6 months waiting at red lights.
It's impossible to sneeze with your eyes open.
Leonardo Da Vinci invented the scissors.
Maine is the only state whose name is just one syllable.
No word in the English language rhymes with month, orange, silver,
Our eyes are always the same size from birth, but our nose and ears
never stop growing.
Peanuts are one of the ingredients of dynamite.
Rubber bands last longer when
Stewardesses, is the longest word typed with only the left hand and lollipop, with your right.
The average person's left hand does 56% of the typing.
The cruise liner, Queen Elizabeth 2, moves only six inches for each gallon of
diesel that it burns.
The microwave was invented after a researcher walked by a radar tube
and a chocolate bar melted in his pocket.
The sentence: The quick brown fox jumps over the lazy dog, uses every letter of the alphabet.
The winter of 1932 was so cold that Niagara Falls froze completely
The words 'racecar,' 'kayak' and 'level' are the same whether they are read left to right or right to left (palindromes).
There are 293 ways to make change for a dollar.
There are more chickens than people in the world.
There are only four words in the English
language, which end in ,dous,
tremendous, horrendous, stupendous,
There are two words in the English language that have all five
vowels in order: abstemious and facetious
There's no Betty Rubble in the Flintstones Chewables Vitamins.
Tigers have striped skin, not just striped fur.
TYPEWRITER is the longest word that can be made using the letters only on one row of the keyboard.
Winston Churchill was born in a ladies' room during a dance.
Women blink nearly twice as much as men.
Your stomach has to produce a new layer of mucus every two weeks; otherwise it will digest itself.
NOW DON'T YOU FEEL A LOT SMARTER?
I am still watching you
The product began from a search for a rust preventative solvent and de-greaser to protect
WD-40 was created in 1953 by three technicians at the San Diego Rocket
Chemical Company. Its name comes from the project that was to find a
"water displacement" compound. They were successful with the fortieth
formulation, thus WD-40. The Corsair Company bought it in bulk to protect their atlas
Ken East (one of the original founders) says there is nothing in WD-40
that would hurt you..." IT IS MADE FROM FISH OIL" When you read the
"shower door" part, try it. It`s the first thing that has ever cleaned that spotty
shower door. If yours is plastic, it works just as well as glass. It`is
a miracle! Then try it on your stovetop...It is now shinier than it has ever been before.
1) Protects silver from tarnishing.
2) Removes road tar and grime from cars.
3) Cleans and lubricates guitar strings.
4) Gives floors that `just-waxed` sheen without making it slippery.
5) Keeps flies off cow s.
6) Restores and cleans chalkboards.
7) Removes lipstick stains.
8) Loosens stubborn zippers.
9) Untangles jewelry chains.
10) Removes stains from stainless steel sinks.
11) Removes dirt and grime from the barbecue grill.
12) Keeps ceramic/terracotta garden pots from oxidizing.
13) Removes tomato stains from clothing.
14) Keeps glass shower doors free of water spots.
15) Camouflages scratches in ceramic and marble floors.
16) Keeps scissors working smoothly.
17) Lubricates noisy door hinges on vehicles and doors in homes
18) It removes black scuff marks from the kitchen floor! Open some windows if you have a lot of marks.
19) Bug guts will eat away the finish on your car. Removed quickly, with WD-40!
20) Gives a children`s play gym slide a shine for a super fast slide.
21) Lubricates gear shift on lawn mowers.
22) Rids kids rocking chairs and swings of squeaky noises.
23) Lubricates tracks in sticking home windows and makes them easier to open.
24) Spraying an umbrella stem makes it easier to open and close.
25) Restores and cleans padded leather dashboards in vehicles, as well as vinyl bumpers.
26) Restores and cleans roof racks on vehicles.
27) Lubricates and stops squeaks in electric fans.
28) Lubricates wheel sprockets on tricycles, wagons, and bicycles for easy handling.
29) Lubricates fan belts on washers and dryers and keeps them running smoothly.
30) Keeps rust from forming on saws and saw blades, and other tools.
31) Removes splattered grease on stove.
32) Keeps bathroom mirror from fogging.
33) Lubricates prosthetic limbs.
34) Keeps pigeons off the balcony (they hate the smell).
35) Removes all traces of duct tape.
36) Folks even spray it on t heir arms, hands, and knees to relieve arthritis pain.
37) Florida`s favorite use "Cleans and removes love bugs from grills and bumpers."
38) Protects the Statue of Liberty from the elements.
39) WD-40 attracts fish. Spray a LITTLE on live bait or lures and you will be catching the big one in no time.
40) Fire ant bites. It takes the sting away immediately and stops the itch.
41) WD-40 is great for removing crayon from walls. Spray on the mark and wipe with a clean rag.
42) If you`v e washed and dried a tube of lipstick with a load of
laundry, saturate the lipstick spots with WD-40 wait 20 minutes and re-wash .Presto! Lipstick is gone!
43) If you spray WD-40 on the distributor cap, it will displace the moisture and allow the car to start.
Some that they forgot
44) Removes axle or fifth wheel grease from clothing and upholstery. Soak with WD-40, for clothes wash and
dry separately then wash as normal. For upholstery soak with WD-40, wait ten minutes and wipe grease away
being careful not to smear as the grease is now thinner and will smear like crazy. Clean spot with warm soapy
cloth to remove WD-40 residue.
45)Removes chewing gum from hair. Soak with WD-40, wait five minutes and then remove gum and wash hair